Mendocino County Public Health is pleased to announce the launch of a COVID-19 Vaccine Promotion campaign that includes one music video in Spanish and ten Public Service Announcements (PSAs) in English, Spanish, and multiple other languages. A joint venture was formed between Mendocino County Public Health and the Mendocino DEI COVID-19 Equity Work Group to reach traditionally underserved communities through elevating the voices of leaders in their community.
The beautiful recreation of the renowned Mexican Ranchera song Volver Volver, written in 1972 by Fernando Z. Maldonado and made famous by Vincente Fernández in 1978, is sung by local artist Irma López, a professional entertainer who has performed everywhere from Los Angeles to Reno and beyond. The lyrics have been changed to implore people to get vaccinated so that we can return to enjoying each other’s presence again. The song showcases the beauty of the Mexican culture along with the splendor of Mendocino County.
The campaign is presented by the Mendocino DEI COVID-19 Equity Workgroup, produced by members of the community with production support and guidance from Fuller Video Productions. The campaign is sponsored by Mendocino County Public Health and supported by Alliance for Rural Community Health and Nuestra Alianza de Willits.
The idea for this campaign arose from members of the Mendocino Diversity Equity Inclusion Taskforce, an independent task force that seeks to stamp out racism in all its forms in our county. According to the campaign writer, pediatric nurse practitioner Medie Parrott, “These videos provide information about the importance of vaccination, but the larger message is this: solidarity in diversity. The PSAs feature participants that are diverse in multiple ways and include voices that are important but not always heard. They are presented in a positive and empathetic manner, acknowledging the lived experiences of some black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC)”.
Other available videos include:
- COVID-19 Vaccine PSA by Mendocino Healthcare Professionals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7wNmIDDgVk [English with Spanish subtitles]
- COVID-19 Vaccine PSA by Mendocino Community Multi-Ethnic Influencers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq6D3L4d8ck [English with Spanish subtitles]
- ¿Por qué me vacuné? Anuncio de servicio público de la vacuna COVID-19 en español (enfermera): https://youtu.be/k9BXirFEcB0 [English with Spanish subtitles]
- ¿Por qué me vacuné? – Anuncio de servicio público de la vacuna COVID-19 en español (trabajador de salud): https://youtu.be/X-scRcY-qqI
- ¿Por qué me vacuné? Anuncio de servicio público de la vacuna COVID-19 en español (5 participantes): https://youtu.be/YONLppk700s
- Why I got Vaccinated – PSA in English for Mendocino Native Communities: https://youtu.be/ofTigKBMEyA
- Why I got Vaccinated – PSA in English (8 participants): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKq8hLycyeg
- Why I got Vaccinated – PSA in English (3 participants): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcS1bC7j2hM
- COVID-19 Vaccine PSA in English (medical doctor): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCLgkhTvihk
For more information about COVID-19 vaccines, testing, masking, and gatherings, contact the Mendocino County Public Health COVID-19 Call Center at (707) 472-2759 or visit our website at: mendocinocounty.org/community/novel-coronavirus.